What has the GEU done for me?
In the past few years, the GEU has successfully won:
- An increase in the base salary of 10% in 2015, with a further 10% increase over three years.
- Annual stipend increases of 2% for all TAs
- Tuition waiver (9 credits fall and spring; 5 credits summer) plus 450 additional credits in the tuition credit pool
- Free, comprehensive health care
- Substantial employer contributions to dependent health insurance
- Domestic partner benefits
- A grievance procedure to ensure fair resolution of work-related problems
- Sick leave and family emergency leave
- Comprehensive mental health coverage
- Workload limits and overwork protection
- Paid, department-specific teacher training
- Posting of all jobs to ensure equal access to employment
- Dental insurance with a 50% employer contribution
What can I do for the GEU?
The GEU is YOUR union! Take ownership of your union by being an engaged and active member. Talk to your department steward about the union’s agenda or become a steward yourself; join a committee; attend a bargaining session; attend membership meetings to discuss and vote on union priorities; wear a GEU T-shirt or button; tell your students you’re a union member; stand up for your rights! We owe our successes to the volunteer involvement of our members – grad employees just like you. Contact the GEU today to find out how you fit in!
If you need additional assistance call the Union at 517.332.2824 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.