Financial Help

Renter’s Assistance

Student Legal Services

(517) 353-3716,

Free to undergraduate and graduate students.

MSU Housing Clinic


Capital Area Housing Partnership (517) 332-4663

Comprehensive COVID-19 resource page for homeowners and renters in Mid-Michigan. Call or go online to make an appointment to receive one-on-one advice.

State & Federal Financial Assistance

Unemployment Insurance (UI)

The federal government recently passed the CARES Act, which among other things, expanded the eligibility criteria for UI. If you are a Michigan resident, please go to the Department of Labor & Economic Opportunity website or call 866-500-0017 to find out if you qualify. Out-of-state residents, please refer to your home state’s UI website for more details.

Direct Federal Payments

Under the recently passed CARES Act, individuals who earned less than $75,000 last year (and couples who earned less than $150,000) are eligible to receive a $1200 direct payment from the Federal Government in the coming weeks. For more information and to see if and how you may benefit, visit the City of Lansing’s Office of Economic Empowerment website.

Additional Resources

Stay Updated w/ Local COVID-19 News City of East Lansing & City of Lansing

City of Lansing’s Office of Financial Empowerment A dedicated page to your finances and COVID-19.

  • MSU Student Food Bank, Available by appointment.

  • MSU Safe Place (517) 355-1100

Providing MSU affiliated persons experiencing emotional, physical or sexual abuse with safe shelter.

  • MSU Counseling & Psychiatric Services (CAPS)MSU Students can call for a phone appointment.

Contact: (517) 355-8270