The Graduate Employees Union (AFT Michigan, Local 6196) is seeking a part-time organizer for the academic year 2014-2015. This organizer will work closely with the existing GEU leadership and staff, and with staff from AFT-Michigan.
This position will give the employee a chance to effect real change at Michigan State University by ensuring graduate students get the best possible contract in upcoming contract negotiations this year. The employee will gain experience with the inner workings of a research university and will help forge relationships between GEU and graduate students from across campus. As such, this position is perfect for a graduate student who is All But Dissertation, labor organizers interested in higher education, and anyone looking to learn more about labor organizing and higher education at all levels.
Primary duties include:
- Internal organizing, including mapping the workplace, contacting potential, new, and current members of each local, performing assessments and identifying potential activists.
- Keeping detailed notes and managing confidential data.
- Communicating regularly with staff to coordinate organizing plans.
- Motivating members and setting an example in organizing and meeting commitments.
- Candidates should have strong organizing skills, the ability to work a flexible schedule, experience working with diverse populations, and demonstrated union or community organizing experience.
This is a 20hr/week, nine-month position, beginning in August 2014 and concluding in May 2015. Compensation is commensurate with that of GEU members at a level III assistantship. All work will be performed in East Lansing, Michigan.
- Higher education experience; bachelor’s degree required, graduate or faculty experience preferred
- High degree of personal integrity
- Experience working with diverse populations, particularly international students
- Strong interest in and commitment to unions and the labor movement
- Familiarity with current issues in higher education
- Grassroots organizing experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including oral communication, listening, motivational skills, and attention to detail
- Ability to lift 20 pounds as well as walk and climb stairs extensively throughout the day.
Please submit cover letter, resume and contact information for at least two professional references in a PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Use the subject line: Staff Organizer. People of all racial backgrounds, ethnic backgrounds, and genders are encouraged to apply. We will begin reviewing applications on August 11th, and will continue to accept applications until the positions are filled.
For more information visit: http://geuatmsu.org